#AEE412 1st Day Lab


It's the first day of school. The Goal: teach the first 10 minutes of your "first day" lesson plan. This lab was beneficial in multiple ways. First, I got to think through what would be a good way to establish classroom procedures right away, create a welcoming environment, etc. Second, I had the chance to teach for 10 minutes and practice classroom management skills with my cohort members who had transformed into students with various personalities. After watching my video, here is one thing I did well and one thing I can improve on for next time!

Gems: things that went well with my lesson.


Going over objectives and having them written on the wall/board: 

I believe it's important to go over your objectives for each lesson. This all goes back to the first domain of teaching and learning: Organization and Structure of Content Matter. Students learn better when they are aware of the structure of the content as well as see how everything their learning contributes to the end goals. Going over the objectives also helps you as a teacher remain business-like and on task by reminding yourself of what you want your students to be accomplishing during the class.

Opps: Opportunities for improvement in future lessons.


Giving clear directions and ensuring students are paying attention/understand: 

I realized while I was watching my video that students asked me to repeat directions and/or had questions about what I just asked them to do. This means that either I'm not giving clear directions and/or I did not have their attention. So, going forward I want to make sure I thoroughly plan how I want to give directions and then also make sure I ask my students to repeat back the directions after I give them. That will hopefully help my directions be more clear and ensure that students were paying attention.


I'm looking forward to practicing more during next week's lab on interest approaches! Thanks for following my blog, I'd love to hear your thoughts!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Rose! I really like how you said the "either I'm not giving clear directions, or I did not have their attention". I think this is important because it means that we might be explaining things fine, but that we need to revisit an interest approach to the topic we are teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, your reflections on your lesson were spot on. What are some strategies or techniques you can utilize to make your directions clearer and to keep your students paying attention? You used technology well throughout your lesson, so maybe look into how that can help you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, you did a great a great job. Posting objectives was great as many of us in the section didn't make them clear. I can't wait to see what you have in store this week!

    ReplyDelete