#AEE412 Interest Approach Lab Reflection

This week's lab was all about creating a desire within our students to want to learn about a particular lesson/topic, or in other words, the interest approach. Prior to this semester, I was confused about what an interest approach was, so I was really excited to try my hand at developing an effective one. This coming spring I will be teaching a unit on Application of Biotechnology, so I decided to create an interest approach for my first lesson of that unit titled "What is the Green Revolution?". After watching my lab, here is one gem and one opp that I took away:

GEM from my Interest Approach Lab:

The video I showed truly caused an emotional response from my "students".

Causing an emotional response was one of my primary methods of capturing my students' interest in this topic. According to Lancelot's Primary Principles of Interest, "A subject is interesting if it affects us, others around us, or humanity at large." The Green Revolution occurred because people were concerned about the rising population and widespread hunger and malnutrition occurring in the world. Currently, we are facing a similar situation so by showing students that connection, they would hopefully be more interested in learning what the Green Revolution is and how it helped save over 1 million people from starvation.


OPP from my Interest Approach Lab:

I did not manage my time as effectively as I wanted to.



I feel like I should have been able to accomplish my interest approach in my 10 minute lab. But I think I took too much time on the bell-work which caused me to try and cram in my interest approach towards the end. And that didn't work. Next time, I need to make sure I tell my students as they begin their bell-work to alert me when they are finished so I know when to move on (ex. put pencil down and look at me).

6 comments:

  1. If ddf12 hasn't said it 100 times already " timing is one of the toughest things." You don't really appreciate it until you are knee deep in behavior issues and trying to differentiate instruction to 14-18 year olds. It comes with time. IMHO I wish I had spent more time focusing on holding students interest. I was told success is what motivates students to keep on going, but some of my favorites include food, competition, and a homework or quiz pass reward. What I am trying to say is timing will come. Focus your energy on mastering the interest and motivation. And hang in there. I know you are doing great. -Rider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Matt! Thanks, I appreciate it! I agree, timing is just going to be something that comes with practice. And I guess that's what this year is all about. Hope all is well and that you're enjoying your first year teaching! I know you're doing great too.

      Delete
  2. I believe that you did a good job with your lab. I can see how you lost track time however, it can be hard to determine just how long your students are going to take on a given task.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, timing is something you will get a better grasp on managing as we progress though the semester. Your idea for how to make bell work complete more timely is easy and effective. Great job with your choice of interest approach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rose, I think that you did a great job during your lesson! I especially like that you showed a video that was going to tug on our heart strings and make us have an emotional reaction. I think your timing was pretty good compared to other lessons. Like mine was way off in timing, I think we are already getting timing down better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post. I agree with all the comments above. Also- don't forget that sometimes it's OK to take longer than expected if your students need it or you are in the moment. Sometimes those "teachable moments" take time.

    ReplyDelete