#AEE412 Weekly Investment: Classroom Management

I hear that classroom management is one thing that all student teachers are nervous about as they enter into their student teaching experience. I have to say I agree. Not because I don't think I am capable or prepared, but because I know that effective classroom management is so important. I'm glad that we get to have a micro teaching experience in a few weeks to practice teaching and managing a classroom. This week's readings were very informative and provided a multitude of methods/techniques for managing a classroom. Here are some takeaways from from the readings this week:

Effective Classroom Management all comes back to the Teacher.




This point was so important and something that all teachers should understand. If you have behavior issues or problems in the classroom, chances are some of the issue has to do with your actions/attitudes as a teacher. It is so important to develop good rapport with your students, and something that I am very excited to establish. I always respected my teachers that demanded respect, laughed with us, admitted when they made mistakes, and didn't spend their days on a power trip. Our methods text even talks about finding this balance. 

Being knowledgable in the content that you teach is also an important factor in classroom management. I know I certainly would be less likely to respect a teacher that was obviously incompetent about what they were teaching. One goal that I have for my career as a teacher is to be a life-long learner and make sure that what I am teaching stays relevant and up to date. A goal that I have for the spring is to dive deep into Ag Mechanics and become comfortable with the content that I'll be teaching (cough, cough, small gas engines...). 

The First Day is KEY.


Wow, up until this semester I had no idea how important the first day of school is. The first day can set the tone for the whole year, so it is important to plan effectively and ensure your first day is a good one for all involved! You want to be welcoming and sincere as well as accomplish some key tasks on that first day to set the foundation for student success. I really appreciated that our methods book discussed the importance of having students write down or talk about what they want from the class and what they want from you as a teacher. It gives them some autonomy and lets them know that you care what they have to say. It also gives you insight into students as individuals and can help with how you approach classroom management. Covering your expectations and classroom procedures is also important because it lets your students know from day one what you expect and you can use it as a reference throughout the year as necessary.


What are some of your best practices regarding classroom management? I'd love to learn more!

7 comments:

  1. Classroom management continues to always be a factor in teaching we all work on. As technology changes and kids have more access to devices / info, it has changed how we approach management. The “First Day” is huge. Every year I pretty much think about it all summer and usually don’t decide on what I’m doing until the days before school starts. I want you to know that it is OK to not do rules, expectations, writing the first day. If you have an activity ready to execute, and you are prepared, your actions will set the tone for your class. Many classs sir the first day and do all the rules, syllabus. My suggestion is to challenge yourself to wait to do that until you set the tone through some other activity / action the first day. This starts your RELATIONSHIP with them. Let me know if you need help. I’ve had many first days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice and sharing your experiences! I agree that expectations/syllabus doesn't need to happen the first day. I know I always hated going over syllabi all day long when I was in high school. Setting the tone for the year as well as starting to build rapport with your students through an engaging activity sounds more effective and fun! What day do you typically cover classroom procedures/expectations?

      Delete
  2. I agree, Rose! It is so important in having a successful experience. Have your cooperating teachers warned you of any specific issues/behaviors that they experience often?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It kind of depends on the age / class. I have them ready and copied “in case” I have extra time the first day as a back up. I usually go over them in increments the first week bc there’s a lot of explaining to do or FFA / SAE / Classroom etc. and you don’t want to overload them. I usually do my formal “rules” the 2nd day and parts of the syllabus all week with it signed by parents the following Monday. I can send you a syllabus example if you want one. Just let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking over a syllabus example would be great! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Rose, I agree with so much that you have said. The key to a successful classroom is definitely classroom management. All eyes are on you as the teacher and how you react to a situation and how consistent you are will set the tone for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose, you make some really great points, especially about the teacher influencing the tone of classroom management. As Gahndi said "you must be the change you wish to see in this world", and this quote applies well to what you discussed. As for pro tips on classroom management, I suggest CoP and the book "The First Days of School" by Wong.

    ReplyDelete