Student Teaching Week 14!

Wow, it's hard to believe I only have one week left at Penn Manor. It's such a bittersweet feeling. I'm so excited to graduate because it's something I've been working towards for the past 4 years, but I'm not looking forward to leaving this community and all of the wonderful people I've gotten to know over the past 15 weeks. Thankfully I still have one more week to enjoy, so here are some highlights from this past week! Also, check out my other blogs from this week on the PAAE meeting I went to, my most recent SAE visit, and my visit with Macy at the Selinsgrove ag ed program!

1. Plants galore!
Two of my students modeling their flowers!
We are in the middle of our Plant Science unit in Intro to AFNR, and I have to say, I'm really enjoying teaching plant science! Students learned about the parts of a plant and flower, as well as how they all function together to make the plant grow. Now we're conducting experiments on germination!  I was really pleased with how my lesson on the parts of a flower went this week. Awesome questions were asked, everyone was engaged, and I knew at the end of the lesson the students had met the learning goals for the day. I definitely want to grow in my knowledge of plant science and horticulture and hopefully have a greenhouse learning laboratory for students someday!

2. Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust - and repeat!
You guessed it! In Intro to Ag Mechanics I'm teaching a Small Gas Engines unit and I've really enjoyed the challenge of teaching something out of my comfort zone. I've learned a lot and I'm starting to feel more comfortable with the content! Ms. Slates has stayed after school with me a few times to go over parts and systems on the engine, which has been super helpful. This unit really helps students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills because students have to use their engine manual to find the answers to their questions. It has been interesting to see how each student handles that challenge. My goal is to continue to encourage growth mindsets and discuss how the skills they are gaining now are necessary for careers in mechanics.

3. Manor FFA students are AWESOME.
Today (Saturday) was the Manor FFA Car Show, an event organized by the FFA members to raise money for the Central PA Food Bank. What a beautiful day it was! We had over 120 vehicles enter the show and the money raised will provide 18,000 meals for the Central PA Food Bank. Talk about an amazing day. 

Thanks for following my journey thus far, stay tuned for my blog post on my final week student teaching!



3 comments:

  1. Rose, this week was filled with positivity! Let this momentum carry you into your last week and help you to finish strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, it has been fun to watch you grow with the Ag Mech class. You did a great job this semester and I know every day was not easy with this crew. You have the basics now so you can take it anywhere you need from their! I'm always here as a resource.
    Thanks for helping with car show! What a great day!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, it has been fun to watch you grow with the Ag Mech class. You did a great job this semester and I know every day was not easy with this crew. You have the basics now so you can take it anywhere you need from their! I'm always here as a resource.
    Thanks for helping with car show! What a great day!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete