1/3 Checkpoint - 5 weeks of student teaching!

And just like that - I'm already 5 weeks into my student teaching internship! Time is flying - and I'm learning so much along the way! We had a snow day and two 2-hour delays this week, but the week was crazy busy nonetheless. Here are some things that went really well this week, some of the things that I learned, as well as some areas to improve on:

Interest Approach - success!


My interest approach on Friday is something I am excited about this week. On Thursday I tried an interest approach to convey why learning about the FFA creed was important. While it wasn't a complete flop, I know the students didn't get a whole lot from it. So I tried again on Friday, but this time I showed students examples of other creeds and had them write their own personal creed. Then I asked them to think about how their beliefs influence their life. We had a really great discussion about the importance of creeds and I was really excited because I could tell they "got it".

The importance of Advisory Committees.


Don't have advisory committee meetings just because they're a state requirement! This week I got to experience my first advisory committee meeting at Penn Manor and see how advisory committees can play a key role in your program. It was awesome to see people working together to help make the ag ed program the best it can be. There were discussions about a variety of topics and you could tell everyone was truly invested in the program. They're also working on adding new committee members that are involved in other areas of agriculture that are not currently represented. I think this is a great idea because it gives you a variety of perspectives and will help make the program stronger as a whole.

Goals for Improvement:


  1. Schedule time for a wrap-up/conclusion at the end of class. 
  2. Continue to improve on giving time limits during class to complete a task.
  3. When asking important/planned questions, give students time to think and share with a partner, or write down their answer, before expecting an answer.

2 comments:

  1. Rose,

    I appreciate the reflection on the advisory committee. As we discussed often in class, these committees are in place to help improve your program, while meeting the state mandate. These requirements are in place to help make our CTE programs the best that they can be. I am excited to see what type of progress you make on your goals this week.

    Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, an advisory committee is an important part of an ag program, and can be a great source of advice and guidance. Have you gotten to attend an FFA Alumni meeting yet to see how both of these groups of community supporters can contribute to the success of an ag program in different ways?

    ReplyDelete