Student Teaching Week 6!

This week was full of exciting learning opportunities! I know I say time is flying by every week, but it's hard to believe that we've been student teaching for 6 weeks! Here are some highlights from this week:

1. I started teaching Introduction to Agricultural Mechanics this week!
Identifying potential hazards!
This week I started teaching the welding unit in Intro to Ag Mech! It was awesome to see the students  finish and test their plumbing squares from the plumbing unit earlier this week. A lot of hard work and problem solving went into their plumbing squares, and you could see the pride in their faces when their squares didn't leak. On Wednesday, we began our welding unit. We covered safety, parts of the machine, and how to set up the welders. It's interesting to experience the differences in planning required for Intro to Ag Mech and CASE Intro to AFNR. I'm utilizing interactive notebooks in Ag Mech, and I'm looking forward to trying new notebook activities. Next week will be a lot of fun - students will be striking their first arc!

2. On Friday my cohort members and I got to sharpen up our interviewing skills!
I spent the day in Happy Valley on Friday for our student teaching seminar where we got to participate in 6 different mock interviews! We had an awesome group of volunteers who work in school administration, Penn State Extension, and the ag industry come for the afternoon to conduct the interviews. I am truly thankful for the opportunity to practice my interviewing skills and receive helpful feedback from experienced interviewers. I definitely feel more confident about interviewing now. It was also great to catch up with my cohort members and talk about everything that we're learning this semester!

Keep an eye out for a blog post on my first experience at ACES! Happy National FFA Week everyone - I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone celebrates and advocates for agriculture and FFA next week on Twitter!

3 comments:

  1. Rose, it's great that you are effectively planning for two different types of classes, and that your students are experiencing success as a result. Using interactive notebooks in a shop based class sounds like a neat concept. How are you planning to make it happen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Keep it up!I also would like to see what an interactive notebook in a shop class looks like. We do them in science all the time, but not in mechanics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. I look forward to seeing the notebooks too. What safety concerns did they identify? Any PPE issues or clutter? Just wondering. Thanks

    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete