Student Teaching Week 9!

From our snow-less snow day to the Manor FFA Officer Selection night, this week was full of excitement! Teaching a full load of classes is keeping me busy, and I'm learning so much along the way! Here are some of the highlights from this week:

1. Officer Interview Nights!
This week I had the honor of serving on the interview committee for both the Lampeter-Strasburg and Penn Manor Ag Ed Program. I was blown away by the students' interviewing skills and enjoyed learning about how they're using FFA to grow themselves as leaders. It was also neat to see how the two schools differed in their officer selection process, and think about how I might do it when I'm an ag teacher at my own school. How do you conduct FFA Officer selection at your program?

2. Adult Pest Ed Program
On Tuesday evening Penn Manor Ag Ed Department hosted a Pest Ed workshop for community members who already had their pest ed certification. It was a great way to meet some more community members as well as learn about pesticides, water quality management, and the Spotted Lantern Fly problem from Penn State Extension agents.
Getting ready to debate the ethics of cloning!

3. Soil, Welding, and Cloning - Oh My!
I really enjoyed teaching all three blocks this week, and I think part of that had to do with the fact that I'm really interested all of the topics my students are learning about! I enjoyed discussing with my students in AFNR that soil was, in fact, not dirt; why cloning is controversial in the Biotech class; and how to continue to improve in welding.


Goals for Improvement:
  • Try a new learning activity this week.
  • Continue to improve on making my directions clear and concise.
  • Include more student self-evaluation in my lessons.
  • Give students more autonomy in some of their classwork.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are busy. Welcome to Ag Teaching! Glad you took part in offier interviews. One lesson you need to learn is how to prepare kids for if they do not get elected, get the office, the ribbon, win the contest. Officer elections are a perfect time to take time to explain to the candidates that if they do not get elected that it is how they move forward / through their actions that make them a leader. Will they congratulate the winners? They will appreciate this "talk" that prepares them for when they do not hear their name called. Its a lesson that will happen many times in your career.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, those are excellent goals for the week. Don't forget to include a system of measuring/tracking achievement of those goals (even if you're the only one that knows about it). Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, it is good to see you using your time wisely to participate in activities outside of the classroom, but that are still an important part of the job of an ag teacher. Your goals for this week are admirable and realistic. What are some specific things that you plan to do to help make them a reality?

    ReplyDelete