Student Teaching Week 10!


Well, #psuaged18 cohort is officially two-thirds of the way through our student teaching internships! This week was busy and full of learning - for both me and my students!

Here are some highlights from this week:

1. The WHY is essential.

This week in Biotech we continued our Applications of Biotechnology unit by discussing the Green Revolution and how biotechnology can be used to fight food insecurity right now in Africa. I began the lesson with a news clip about the current famine occurring in Africa. Then the students researched the green revolution to learn how Norman Borlaug saved over 1 million lives. I wanted to have a discussion about the positives as well as some of the downsides that resulted because I believe we should always be striving to improve. I could tell I hadn't caught the interest of some of my students because no one wanted to participate in the discussion. A few students even questioned why we were learning about agriculture in another country. After class was over, I reflected and talked with Mr. Fellenbaum and we agreed that I should begin class the next day by reviewing the Green Revolution and then taking some time to explain the why. The next day went much better and I feel that I effectively conveyed the why to my students. That biotechnology is all about using living things to benefit human life,and the Green Revolution is a perfect example of that. Students spent the next part of class researching a plant commonly grown in Africa and selecting characteristics to selectively breed for to help fight the famine. I was so impressed with their critical thinking and problem solving skills! 

2. Soil buffering capacity, soil buffering capacity, soil buffering capacity.
This week in Intro to AFNR we focused on, you guessed it, soil buffering capacity. Students followed a procedure to test the buffering capacity of water, and then they designed their own experiment to test how soil particle size affects buffering capacity. It was interesting to watch students go through that problem solving process and even experience some frustration. I think many students were so focused on being "right" that it took them longer to develop a hypothesis/procedure. When students asked questions, I tried to redirect them with a question. I really enjoy the inquiry process and I'm looking forward to further developing my skills in delivering IBI.



Goals for this coming week:
  • Continue to grow in my content knowledge of small gas engines.
  • Build better rapport with two of my students that I have a hard time connecting with.
  • Be more confident in my decisions!

Thanks for following my journey, thus far - I'd love to hear your thoughts/advice!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job. Keep it up. Making the connections and building relationships is vital to creating the classroom environment conducive to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose,

    Thank you for your blog. I have been reflecting recently on the "Why" of many of the lessons that I teach. It is amazing how our "why" and the "why" for the students may be different, but they are both important in building knowledge, skills, and (maybe most importantly) dispositions that will serve the learner well in the future. Sometimes we just need to push our learners to understand their own "why", so that it is meaningful to them! Great job!
    - Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, thank you for making sure your students focus on and understand the importance of the "why" in your lessons. While it may not be obvious for them at first, taking the time to go back and reinforce to make sure they "get" it, like you did with your biotech lesson, its critical. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete