Student Teaching Week 11

While I only had one day in the classroom, this week was very busy! On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday we were at SLLC, Wednesday was a snow day, Thursday was the Manor FFA banquet (on a two hour delay schedule mind you!), and on Friday I had a student teaching seminar with my fellow #psuaged18 cohort members. Here are some highlights from the week:

1. SLLC - fun, community service, and leadership growth!

I had an awesome time at my first State Legislative Leadership Conference! FFA members spent much of their time at SLLC using those parli pro skills to experience how bills move through our legislative system. They debated and amended real bills, which brought a real-life context to the experience. We also served the local community for an afternoon. We helped residents at a retirement community prepare their garden plots for spring, and we had a ton of fun doing it! It was a beautiful day, so it was perfect for working in a garden. The residents were so excited to have us, and I know I really enjoyed having conversations with the residents while we worked. There were 7 junior and senior Manor FFA members on the trip, and they are my students in the last class I started teaching this semester. It was a great opportunity to connect with them and get to know them better! 

2. Teamwork makes the dream work!
Especially when you have a snow day the day before your banquet and a two hour delay the day of the banquet. What a busy day! Everyone was in full FFA banquet mode, and it was awesome to see it all come together throughout the day. I truly enjoyed my evening at the banquet. The students did a wonderful job hosting the banquet and I loved seeing the community come together to celebrate the accomplishments of the Manor FFA members. I was honored to receive an Honorary Chapter Degree at the banquet. I'm truly thankful to be spending the semester at Penn Manor.

The FFA motto painted by a very talented FFA Member!


Goals for next week:
  1. Give students more ownership of their learning by giving them the chance to decide how they will "show what they know" from a lesson!
  2. Utilize e-moments more in my lessons, especially when structuring discussions and review!
  3. Continue to grow in my content knowledge of small gas engines and be confident while teaching it!

3 comments:

  1. Great Goals Rose! Try to use 4 new E-moments you have never used before you complete student teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose, what a neat week full of experiences outside of the classroom that are a part of the life of an ag teacher! What aspects of the banquet did you enjoy the most and would like to carry over into your own future chapter? Your goals for next week are great! What options do you plan to give your students so they can "show what they know"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I am so glad to see one of your goals revolving around agricultural mechanics, specifically small gasoline engines. I believe you mentioned about a year ago, during your student teaching placement interview that agricultural mechanics was your "weakest" area of the 5 AFNR areas. I am so glad that you are having such a great learning experience at Penn Manor, while making a positive impact on students' lives.
    -Dr. Ewing

    ReplyDelete